re:re:Thomas B. Passin: "html-to-xml output error - tags like <br> are not closed

From: Thomas B. Passin <tpassin@mitretek.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 12:56:57 -0400
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>
Serge-

>>T. B. Passin" wrote:
>> 1) Using the xml or xhtml output options generate ill-formed xml for elements
>> that are not closed in the source html, like <br> or <meta>.

You replied
>I use tidy, set the XHTML flag, and it does produce <br /> tags
>correctly.  Can you provide some examples?Serge KnystautasLoki Technologies

It's very strange.  I made up a short test html file to test it when I read your
reply, and it worked.  So I went back to the long (30k) file I had originally
had problems with.  It worked too! Not only that, the problem I had where Tidy
did not terminate after processing the input file - that problem went away too.

I'm mystified.  The changes from erroneous results to excellent results  were
these:

1) I shut down all open windows. I had quite a few open previously.
2) I started a new command line session (I'm running Windows 95).

Perhaps Windows was short on some resource and this caused DOS or Tidy to
malfunction.  I dunno!

Thanks for your help, it got me to check it out again.

Tom Passin