W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > html-tidy@w3.org > July to September 1999

Re: Making Tidy into a library call

From: Terry Teague <teague@macbroker.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 14:50:03 -0700
Message-Id: <l03130307b3a42bc91a53@[17.219.105.242]>
To: html-tidy@w3.org
Douglas Cook writes in :

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/html-tidy/1999JulSep/0011.html>

>I will soon begin work integrating Tidy into a larger program that I am
>working on, using it to convert existing files into XHTML for input into a
>database.  I'm working in MS VC++ 6.0, buiding for a multiprocessor Windows
>NT platform.  Has anyone else converted Tidy into a library?  Any
>recommendations or things to be aware of?

While I am working on a different platform (Mac OS), and not producing a
library per se (a "plug-in" filter), I have many of the same issues as you
will, and I can probably give you some advice.

>Which portions of the initialization/uninitialization are "Init once/uninit
>once" and which are "init before each file is parsed/uninit after?"

Depending on how you port the tidy code - since the main() function runs
the whole show ONCE, you probably want to extract out the bits that will be
only initialized/terminated once, and put the rest of the main() in code
that will executed each time. Static variable initialization may or may not
cause you problems (see below).

Specifically in my case, I am working in a multi-threaded application, I
can't (easily) have global variables in my "plug-in", but the "plug-in"
architecture has "initialize", "run", and "terminate" phases (amongst
others). I can have multiple instances of the "plug-in" (in multiple
formats - such as 68K, PowerPC, "FAT" processor architectures, packaged in
a couple of different ways - code resources, shared libraries (DLL's)),
which typically share the code, but have their own data.

In my "initialize" routine :

(a) I allocate memory for global variables (which get saved/restored on a
context switch).
(b) I set up the setjmp() error handler in case parts of tidy get a fatal
error during initialization.
(c) If building a version of the code with memory management debugging (if
I'm not building a debug version, actually the calls do nothing), I
initialize my memory manager (which in my case means allocating a block of
memory to track memory allocation requests).
(d) I do any platform/"plug-in" specific initialization.
(e) I call InitTidy().
(f) Because my "plug-in" has a GUI configuration window, I handle any
configuration that the user may have done (at any time before the "plug-in"
code is called) by setting the values of tidy global variables (as would
normally come from command-line options) appropriately. This would be
equivalent to the command-line option processing loop in tidy(), except for
opening files. I also support Config files, and I call ParseConfigFile() in
this case.
(g) I call AdjustConfig().

In my "run" routine :

(a) I switch in (restore) the global variables.
(b) I set up the setjmp() error handler in case parts of tidy get a fatal
error.
(c) I create an output stream and error stream. This would be equivalent to
the code in tidy() that opens the files.
(d) My "plug-in" gets handed streams of data, one stream at a time (the
"plug-in" makes callbacks to the application for more data). For each input
stream, I process the input in much the same way as tidy() - starting with
the NewLexer() call.
(e) I do the rest of the processing as per tidy(), up to the end of the
routine where it reports errors and closes the output/error streams.
Everything EXCEPT DeInitTidy().
(f) I switch out (save) the global variables.

In my "terminate" routine :

(a) I switch in (restore) the global variables.
(b) I call DeinitTidy().
(c) If building a version of the code with memory management debugging (if
I'm not building a debug version, actually the calls do nothing), I
terminate my memory manager (which in my case means reporting any memory
leaks, and actually disposing memory).
(d) I do any platform/"plug-in" specific termination.


The recent versions (15 Apr 99 and later) of Tidy have made my job easier
than it used to. But I still have problems with variables that are static
in various files, such as hashtables, since I can't easily make them
extern, as they have the same names. The compiler/linker cause static
initialization to be done once (which makes complete sense), but ideally I
would like to do that each time in my "initialize" routine - I haven't
found a good way to do that yet (compiler/linker dependent). There are a
couple of other gotchas that I had to work around. I haven't completely
solved all the problems yet - like multiple invocations of the code while
in the application cause me some crashes (again mainly related to those
static variables and hashtables).

Hope this helps.

Regards, Terry
Received on Saturday, 3 July 1999 17:50:52 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 3 April 2012 06:13:42 GMT