Re: HTML Tidy

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 01:52:09 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
To: Martin Webb <martin@irt.org>
cc: html-tidy@w3.org
On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Martin Webb wrote:

> * On the web page http://www.w3.org/People/Ragget/tidy/ there is an
> error in the "Using a Configuration File" section.  There are two
> instances of the quote-marks option - the second should be
> quote-ampersand.
>
> * Again on the same page (although this may be my local copy) there are
> two instances of the & coming out as &amp; - presumably the underlying
> HTML code has &amp;mp; and not &amp; - they are located under the two
> quote-marks options (as mentioned above).

I have fixed both of these for the next release which I hope to do
in a few days time, once I have worked through all the feedback.

> * The wrap option only accepts a numeric value - there is no
> ability to specify nowrap - could this be added in a future
> version?

This would lead to extremely long text lines and would be
unusable in a text editor. I guess it would make a very small
decrease in file size compared with the default settings, but
don't expect that to be signficant for download times.

> * The markup option - signifies that a file is to be
> updated/created with a pretty printed version of the file.
> Unless I am mistaken there is no ability to update/create a page
> without the pretty print option.  This then doesn't allow the
> ability to use HTML Tidy to create XML or XHTML outputs without
> pretty printing, and also doesn't allow the ability to use HTML
> Tidy to just convert uppercase tags/attributes to lowercase -
> something I'm keen to do.

Tidy works by building a clean parse tree then printing it out.
In this process all knowledge of the original layout is lost.
Unfortunately it would be a great deal of work to preserve the
original layout given the massaging that goes on to clean up the
markup.

Many thanks for your feedback.

Regards,

phone: +44 122 578 2984 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)