RE: Query strings in links

hi,

within the parameter section (after the question mark) HTML recommends
encoding the characters by using HEX shorthand.

for example space is be represented as %20
ampersand as %26

your example should look like:

HREF="http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/bob?a%3db%26c%3dd">Bob</A>

(note the equals character has also been encoded

this has always served me well and is HTML4.0 compliant (the requirement is
actually imposed by HTTP not HTML)

cheers

fern

this opinion does not           . . _   _o
represent that of my          . . __  _< \_
employer.  it's mine!!        .. __  (_)>(_)

    http://www.cs.duke.edu/~dsb/kgv-faq/errors.html#bad-entity

for more information. The bottom line, if I understand correctly, is
that as long as you refer to web sites that use only & as separators
in CGI scripts, you can't have HTML 4.0 compliant pages :(.

Kent

--
Kent E. Holsinger                Kent@Darwin.EEB.UConn.Edu
                                 http://darwin.eeb.uconn.edu