Re: Bug report tidy.exe

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Bodo Eing wrote:

> Dear Dave and colleagues,
>
> I am using the windows console version of tidy (tidy.exe) since
> a few days as a plug-in for the EditPlus HTML Editor. I really
> got to like tidy, because the integration in EditPlus worked
> perfect and tidy itself is the best HTML teaching tool I ever
> experienced.  Nevertheless I'd like to report two problems that
> arouse with tidy:
>
> 1. If the title of a HTML page is accidentally wrapped into a
> <strong>- tag (I know that this is a beginner's mistake, but I
> am one), tidy.exe shifts the title text with the <strong>-tags
> into the body and puts out some confusing error messages. I have
> attached a zip-file (tidybug.zip) with an example for this:
> pretidy.html is the file as written by1 me, posttidy.html is the
> file after correction by tidy.exe and tidyerrs.txt is the
> errorfile. For this example I was running tidy with the -f -m
> options.

The question is whether to assume the strong tag was intended to
be part of the title or whether the </title> end tag has been
forgotten. I guess the best approach would be to make the help
message point to both possibilities.

> 2. I had written a configuration file tidyconf.cfg for more
> convenient use of tidy, pointing to the configuration file via
> the -config option. It worked perfectly at the beginning, but
> during heavy usage and experimenting with the configuration file
> over the day I got the message "can't access tidyconf.cfg" more
> and more often. At the time of this writing, tidy skips the
> configuration file completely, and, running it from the windows
> console, it seems that the -config option is not recognized any
> more. I have never changed the location nor the name of the
> configuration file ad it was always placed in the same directory
> as tidy.exe. In addition, when it worked the error-file option
> was only realized inconsistenly.

Thanks for your feedback, I will see what I can do. Although I have
no clue as to what is happening about the config file. I haven't
seen anything like that myself. (not much help I'm afraid).

phone: +44 122 578 2984 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)