pass URL instead of filename?

From: Fred Leeflang <fredl@dutchie.org>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 19:25:39 +0000
To: html-tidy@w3.org
Hi,

I'm just trying out html-tidy and like it a lot.
One thing I noticed though is that tidy only
parses directly from files. I use a lot of parsed
HTML files (apache's SSI, including little snippets
of utilities 'n all) for example to create a uniform
header for all my pages. html-tody, obviously,
does not really like the syntax of some of those
SSI includes (or in case you make a little CGI script
generate all your headers, it will not see a header
and then add one for you) even though when
looked at the page through a browser it may contain
perfectly legal HTML.

A suggestion to work around this:

Why not have html-tidy access a URL instead of
a file? This will make sure that the webserver
evaluates all SSI stuff (and asp stuff, and other stuff)
and checks the *result* that the webserver will give to
the browser.

Good work BTW!

-Fred

--