RE: tidy

you wrote:
> No this is deliberate and according to the spec for HTML. What is
> even better is that browsers support entities in attribute values
> correctly. However, you can switch this behavior off for HTML Tidy
> using a config file option. Tidy only converts " to " in
> attribute values and not in element content but I will update the
> documentation to make this clearer.

Thanks. I didn't expect the browser to handle the ampersand entity
in a URL, and I obviously misunderstood the purpose of the
quote-marks setting. I was thinking that, since quotes might be in
the text in the input file, and Tidy was breaking lines (possibly
causing quoted passages to wrap onto multiple lines), that it would
make sense to replace the quotes with quote entities.

By the way, (since you're going to look at it) the Tidy documentation
on configuration files:
http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/#config
has two sections on quote-marks (I think the second should be
quote-ampersand) and the description in the first is confusing:
    causes " characters to be written out as "

Thanks again.
--Dave
David M. Stevens (DStevens@OfficeMax.com)
OfficeMax, Inc.