Re: Why is [message id] required for requests but not for other messages?

Jonathan Marsh wrote:

>If the draft minutes are accurate, some of us voted to make [message ID]
>mandatory, others to make it optional at all times, but the bulk of the
>WG voted to simply 86 issue lc86.  I don't know what more to
>productively say on the topic at this point.

Yes, and that all happened pretty quickly toward the end of a long day.
Understanding why the result came out the way it did seems like a
productive endeavor, particularly since we're still hammering out the
semantics of [message id] and the reasons for making it mandatory (but
only in that particular case) look to have some bearing on the semantics.