Re: do we have a right to be forgotten?

On Wednesday 20 April 2011 01:11:28 Aleecia M. McDonald wrote:
> An interesting clarifying question might be: how is being "forgotten"
>  either similar to or different from data retention policies?

I think the only thing similar is that personal data is held. By "data
retention" we normally understand traffic data and other online traces being
kept by an entity. This entity can then access this data, analyze it and sell
it. But have you ever seen a website publishing its full logdata? If it
exists, it is a very rare edge case that we should not consider. So I think
data retention is just out of scope for the discussion about tools to be
forgotten as such traffic data is normally held for shorter periods of time
and doesn't really pose problem. Even Google with huge amounts of information
manages to aggregate at some point in time and thus remove the personal
context somewhat.

Best,

Rigo