Re: advice on alt text for image maps

Hi Mallory, I tend to agree that it is useful and that the provision of alt
for an image map img does not mean that the end user needs to have it
announced/displayed. UA's could provide a preference to suppress alt on img
map images if it is such an annoyance.

I think the provision of alt should be based on whether the image is
informative/decorative etc.regardless of if the image is also being used as
an image map.

I also think that we need to look at examples of usage in the wild to get
some data, I am currently grepping some pages to find image maps and will
provide data for analysis when done.

--

Regards

SteveF