Re: Trouble: ....document type...

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001 grandane@grandane.com wrote:

> Am receiving "No errors found" but with message saying "This document
> _would_ validate as the document type specified if
> updated  to match the Options used. "

Aaargh!!!  Reports like this need a URL where we can see what's
going on.

> Have tried adding to my meta tags one of the explanations given by
> validator i.e.,   <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
> charset=utf-8"> .......

Onono, don't say that bogosity has found its way into the validator
pages?  You use HTTP headers to set Content-Type.  Use lynx -dump -head
to see what actual HTTP headers your server is returning, and fix
them if wrong.

> Example:
>             <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
>             For HTML, use the <meta> tag. Example:
> charset=utf-8"> ........

Any of which would be appropriate for a protocol (like FTP) that
serves documents without MIME headers, or for reading a file from
local disc.  But not for HTTP.

> Advice very much needed.

Tell us a URL!

--
Nick Kew

Site Valet - the essential service for anyone with a website.
<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>