Re: --->Please make sure you specified the DOCTYPE properly

On 27.07.01 at 09:53, Robert.W.Blackburn@apcc.com wrote:

>[...] Any URI will give me this message, for example http://www.yahoo.com
>[...] The URI's work fine for me when I use the validator on
>http://validator.w3.org , but my local copy is where I get the error [...]

Ok, two things to try. First, try it for a _Valid_ page, say
<URL:http://validator.w3.org/>, so we know what output it gives when faced
with a page that is already valid.

Second, try running nsgmls by hand on an arbitrary HTML file. Make yourself
a trivial example (just html/head/body and a paragraph of text) in valid
HTML and do something like:

nsgmls -f errors.txt -E10 -c catalog foo.html

This validates "foo.html", using "catalog" to resolve FPIs (DOCTYPEs),
putting errors in "errors.txt", and shows no more then 10 error messages.
This should give you an ESIS as output (structural representation of the
file), but the raw error messages, if any, in errors.txt should be able to
tell us something.

(Note: make sure "-c catalog" points to the actual catalog file;
 "-c D:\webroot\validate\validator\htdocs\sgml-lib\catalog" should
 be close to the right path, depending on how you installed it.)

Send me the text from "errors.txt". And find the version of the "check" CGI
application (the line that starts "$VERSION = q$Id ...$;); it should be
"1.nnn" (I need to know what the three digits after the period are).

BTW, since this has bitten us before on Windows; you _did_ get the binary
Iconv distribution from ActiveState and installed it? If that one is
missing or broken I could see symptoms like these occur.

>BTW: If I can get this to work, I will see what I can do for the UPS Web
>Management interface. :o)

Then we'll certainly have to try to get this problem resolved. :-)

>Trust me that's not the only thing that needs cleaning,... please, nobody
>validate www.apcc.com, its not pretty.

I'll make a point of avoioding it then. :-)