Re: Incorrect "catch" of valid data

At 03:53 01/07/19 +0200, Terje Bless wrote:
>On 18.07.01 at 18:20, Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com> wrote:

> >As of circa 1815 MST (0115Z 19 Jul), the port 8188 validator is still only
> >flagging these when validating as XHTML, not when validating as HTML.
>
>Yes. This is expected behaviour. The fix I'm refering to above is for a
>different problem. It used to be that these errors were only reported when
>there were also other errors in the document. They are now reported
>regardless.
>
>Why they don't show up in HTML, but do in XHTML, is an issue I'm still
>looking into.
>
>BTW, I seem to recall that the conclusion to that thread was that these
>characters are actually invalid in HTML 4, but _valid_ in XHTML (since XML
>1.0 SE removed the word "graphic" from "any valid graphic character"). Did
>I read that wrong or are we actually failing in _both_ HTML and XHTML?

It's not the word 'graphic', it's production [2] in the spec.
For XHTML, which is a combination of XML and HTML, it's not
100% clear.

But we decided that we fail for both HTML and XHTML, because
the chance that it's an error (the wrong character) is much
bigger than the chance that that somebody really wants one of
the control characters.

Regards,    Martin.