Re: Web and URN

S. Kusuma wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> Could somebody please hook me up with websites, papers, journals, etc
> regarding these topics:
>
> 1. World-Wide Web growth and commercialization on the Web

I'll let the rest of the folx on www-talk handle this one.....

> 2. Use or implementation of Uniform Resource Name (URN)and Uniform Resource
> Characteristics (URC)

URNs are very quickly coming together. The drafts are being finalized
and going to standards track in a few weeks. The NAPTR proposal will
be out as an experimental RFC soon.

Current versions of bind support the NAPTR and SRV records so if you
want to provide a URN resolution service you simply need a current
version of bind. You can find libraries and other software at
<URL:http://www.acl.lanl.gov/URN/>.

URCs are another matter. Ron Daniel and I were the primary folx
pushing URCs. Since we have been putting our efforts into URNs we
really have left URCs alone for a while. Metadata in general
is becoming a hot topic in both the W3C and the IETF as well as other
organizations. I hope that URCs will eventually make it but right now
there are other fish to fry. While I have yet to see a WebCollections
draft I think it MIGHT be a good candidate for a URC.

-MM

Michael Mealling	| 505 Huntmar Park Drive       | Phone:  (703)742-0400
Software Engineer	| Herndon, VA 22070	       | Fax:    (703)742-9552
Network Solutions	| <URL:http://www.netsol.com>  | michaelm@rwhois.net