Re: errata for cookie spec

Andrew Daviel:
[...]
>On another note, I'd like to see some stronger wording to discourage the
>indiscriminate use of cookies with a path of "/", which prevents entire
>sites from being cacheable

A path of "/" does _not_ prevent sites from being cacheable: there is nothing
in the HTTP/1.x or cookie specifications which tells caches to disable
themselves if a Cookie header is present in the request.  If you have a
cache that *does* disable itself, you may consider switching to another
cache.

Some badly written cookie applications may break when you do this, though.
Complain to the authors of these applications.

>   I'm glad that some effort has
>been made in the spec. to consider cacheing (though I must confess to
>being as yet confused by the wealth of control headers in HTTP 1.1).

I think that the intended relation between cookies and caches is most clearly
explained in the state-mgt draft, you should read the appropriate sections
in that one. (Though ironically, the draft has some small errors with
respect to 1.1 control headers.  But it is OK for 1.0)

>Andrew Daviel

Koen.