Re: Call for Closure - HTTP response version

On Tue, 31 Dec 1996, David W. Morris wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Dec 1996, Alexei Kosut wrote:
>
> > compatible server. In this scenario, it would be neccessary for
> > HTTP/1.1 servers to always use HTTP/1.1 in the response.
>
> Another choice is to stop overloading a single value for two
> purposes ...
>   1.  Declaring the servers capabilities
>   2.  Labeling the level of the response
>
> A new optional header for example could advertise the server's
> capabilities and the status would be just that ... status describing
> this response.

Yes, that possibility was also in my message.

> The beauty of the extra header is that it would allow a response
> to a HTTP/1.x request to note that HTTP/2.x is also supported ...

Hmm. Isn't this where Upgrade: was intended to be used? Something like:

GET /something HTTP/1.1
Upgrade: HTTP/2.0

and then the server would respond with 2.0 if it supported it? That's
what section 14.41 of the HTTP/1.1 spec would seem to indicate.