Re: URL parsing and IPv6 addresses

Earlier, <Brandon Gillespie> inscribed:

> Actually, using '.' is also backwards compatable, just change the URL
> spec so that either '.' or ':' can be the port seperator on a IPv4 addr,
> and a '.' will also work with v6.  You know a v4 addr is a quad, so the
> fifth seperation is going to be the port, ala:
>
>     0.0.0.0.80
>
> The only problem from that point is figuring out if its a hostname or an
> address :)

Probably the easiest way is to test to see if the last part is a decimal
port number.  I do not think there are any purely numerical TLDs.

Kim

(Hm.  I wonder if that is why the IPv6 folks chose : instead of .  It might
be hard to tell if something like "feed.cafe.ca" is a domain name or a
hexadecimal IP address.)