Re: URL parsing and IPv6 addresses

Earlier, <Shel Kaphan> inscribed:

> How about just using some other punctuation besides ":" before port numbers
> in URLs for IPv6, for example ";"?  Surely the URL parser is going to have
> to know whether it's an IPv4 or IPv6 IP address by the time it gets
> that far.

";" would be a very bad character in my opinion -
    "http://100.100.100.100;/bin/rm -rf /"
could cause a lot of problems in poorly written scripts that process
URLs.  Shell characters should be avoided as much as possible, I think.

I could live with the use of "." to separate the port in IPv6 addresses,
though it does allow "http://::131.247.108.14.80/", that is not an
ambiguous representation.

Kim