Re: Proposal: "On Off" switch HTML forms Input Object

Hi I would like to raise a problem that a control like this poses.  When
used within an HTML document this type of control is essentially a
miniature Image map.  That is,  where you click on it determines how it
behaves.  For people with poor motor control,  for those using the browswer
from the keyboard, and for those using screen readers, this type of control
may be unusable.  Whereas a screen reader or keyboard control (eg tabbing
to objects) would allow you to step from object to object and click on
them.....  it doesnt allow you to click on different parts of a control.

One possible solution would be to create two controls (like two radio
buttons but shaped any way you like) which are positioned close to each
other but drawn separately to the screen.    These would be recognized as
two objects and could be navigated to independently.   They could even
touch - as long as they are actually drawn to the screen separately and
treated as two objects by the system.

Thx much.

gregg

(ps if you have words printed on them the words would be invisible to a
screen  reader if done as part of the switch image.   If it were standard
though, the screen reader can be taught to recognize the symbol and
pronounce it as "on" or "off" based on its look (even if not labelled).

>To: www-talk@w3.org
>

>The following is being proposed as an Internet Draft.  Please circulate
>to anyone who might be interested.  Thank you.
>

>INTERNET DRAFT                                                Paul Robinson
>                                       Tansin A. Darcos & Company/TDR, Inc.
>                                                               July 1, 1996
>                                                  Expires December 31, 1996
>
>              OnOff Switch Input Object Widget for HTML Forms
>                  <draft-tdr-robinson-html-onoff-00.txt>

>        For Comments about this memo:  ONOFF@TDR.COM

Gregg C. Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Trace R&D Center
Waisman Center and Dept of Industrial Engr.
University of Wisconsin - Madison   53705
gv@Trace.Wisc.Edu  ,   FAX 608 262-8848
FTP,Gopher and WWW servers at  trace.wisc.edu
For list of our listserve discussions send LISTS to listproc@trace.wisc.edu