Re: server or Netscape buffer data before send / printin out

On Tue, 5 Sep 1995, David Zlotchenko wrote:

> I am writing a CGI application for a conferencing WWW system.  I need the
> server to send and the client to output small portions of data as they
> become awailable.  But, the I ran in to the following problem:  the data
> gets printed on the screen only by accumulated chanks of approximate size
> 3700K (or end of connection of course).  I do not know whether the server
> holds the output from the script until it accumulates a packet of 3700K
> or the Netscape does it.

This isn't appropriate for www-talk, please take questions like this to
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi.  The answer is that the server is
buffering the data, and you need to use an nph- script and an unbuffered
stdout to get the data to the client immediately.  Documentation on nph-
scripts is available at <URL:http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/>

--
Paul Phillips                                 | "Click _here_ if you do not
<URL:mailto:paulp@cerf.net>                   |  have a graphical browser"