using CERN proxy server

Hi,

Greetings to all !

I am trying to start a CERN proxy server (CERN httpd configured to run as
a proxy server) and is having the following problem.
I would appreciate your help. I am new in this group, please
forgive me if the question was covered before.

Basically, the problem is that I cannot seem to make my proxy server
work alone. I have to connect my local proxy to a remote
proxy server (http://wwwcache.hensa.ac.uk:8080) in order for it to work.
(I did the above by setting the http_proxy environment variable
to the above remote proxy).

Specifically, if I set the http_proxy variable to NULL, then my broswer
cannot locate any page through the proxy. However, as soon as I set
http_proxy variable as above, everything works fine.

Thanks
-- Tao Zhang
Bellcore