Re: browsers translate characters?

In message <m0sJhOQ-00000iC@crash.cts.com>, Rick Stout writes:
>At 10:36 PM 6/7/95 +0500, Eric Asher Perlman wrote:
>>

>>On Wed, 7 Jun 1995, Rick Stout wrote:
>>
>>> I've been working on a CGI script (in C) and discovered that
>>> forward slashes put into a text field on a form get received
>>> at the server as the string "%2F".  (And that tildes (~) are
>>> received as "%7E" and colons as "%3A".)
>>
>>These are Hex Escapes (or something like that)...  That is a character
>>encoded.  No matter what %7E should translate to ~.....etc.
>
>I assume these map to ASCII.  Does anyone know where there is a
>reference with these values?

Yes, they reference ASCII codes. Try "man ascii" on most
unix boxes.

An exhaustive list (though in decimal, rather than handy hexadecimal,
and including ISO-8859-1 as well as 7-bit ascii) is in the current
draft of the HTML 2.0 spec:

http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_12.html#SEC98

Dan