Re: Dynamic HTML documents with client pull

>Just as "legal liability reasons" are being used to take the control
>away from the reader in issues of style, they can also be used to defend
>the unwanted client pull mechanism. I'm not too scared about reading
>or hearing legal statements, but the fuctionality will be too tempting
>for advertisers.

Every technology has advantages and disadvantages. If you don't like the
way a provider is using it, vote with your mouse.

For an alternative use, consider the following.

o User submits form
o Window displays confirmation
o 10 seconds later, the screen refreshes and the user is back where they
started before they went to the form.

More specifically though, I suspect that the feature was implemented to
address the needs of things like stock tickers and the like, which need to
continually refresh to show you what has changed.

Kee Hinckley      Utopia Inc. - Cyberspace Architects    617/721-6100
nazgul@utopia.com                               http://www.utopia.com/

everyone else's.