Re: Hot Java is here! And it *rocks*

mddoyle@netcom.com (Michael D. Doyle)
> If you take a close look at Java, you'll realize that it
> bears a close similarity to Viola, since the "applets"
> must be coded from a predefined language, downloaded and
> locally interpreted.

If you had taken a closer look yourself, before launching into the
predictable Eolas marketing message, you might have noticed that:

* Java applets are tranported as bytecode, not interpreted script.
* The Java bytecode spec will be published, so compilers for
	other languages can be written.
* The HTML imbedding scheme used by HotJava is not language-specific;
	MIME typing can be used to resolve the applet format.

All in all, I'd say Sun shows an excellent understanding of open
software.  Should your Eolas site ever provide actual information,
and not just grandiose marketing slogans like "Web Technologies for
the Next Millennium", I will be happy to re-evaluate your offerings.

Paul Burchard	<burchard@math.utah.edu>
``I'm still learning how to count backwards from infinity...''