Re: The <PRE> tag

Jim Whitescarver (jim@wilbur.njit.edu)
Fri, 27 Nov 92 11:42:09 est

Date: Fri, 27 Nov 92 11:42:09 est
From: jim@wilbur.njit.edu (Jim Whitescarver)
To: timbl@nxoc01.cern.ch
Subject: Re: The <PRE> tag
Cc: www-talk@nxoc01.cern.ch

I vote for <FIXED>, significant newlines (\n), and WIDTH=nn with 80 default.

The standard should explicitly discourage the use of <FIXED>, because of
the new line significance.  Its use should be researved for cases where
conversion to full html is impractical.

http://eies2.njit.edu:1234/man-p/manpage give no <p>s within <PRE>

I released the shell source for my experimental server in
ftp://wilbur.njit.edu/www/unix/htfiled.sh, it has man, man-p, and a local
directory browser-- in case anyone wants to play with it.

I fixed the reference http://eies2.njit.edu/rakesh/paper.html, but I need
to regererate it to get back equations and format the tables.  If anyone
has a converter for ms and mm documents it would save me some trouble.

jim