SGML for URLs

Dan Connolly (connolly@imagine.convex.com)
Fri, 24 Jul 92 10:32:14 CDT

To: cni-arch@uccvma.bitnet
Cc: wais-talk@think.com, www-talk@nxoc01.cern.ch
Subject: SGML for URLs
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 92 10:32:14 CDT
From: Dan Connolly <connolly@imagine.convex.com>

--cut-here

--alt

                                   OBJECTIVE

   The issue of what to call these things we're defining has been discussed at
   length. First it was Universal Document Identifier. The name has changed as
   the objective has been refined. The latest name is Universal Resource
   Locator. The provisional charter is;

    To define a printable string syntax to the allow

      The expression of the address on the network of any accesable object
      using existing information retrieval protocols;

      The expression of the name of any object held in a directory system or
      unique naming space on the network;

      The distinction to be made easily in the syntax between such protocols
      and directories and name spaces;

      New protocols, directories and naming schemes to be included as and when
      they are developed. [1]

      Clearly what we are about is defining a language, i.e.  a syntax and
      semantics for communicating some information.

      The information is the location and/or identity of some information
      object in the global hypertext. It's a citation or a reference or a
      hypertext link anchor.

      I propose a specification for the language of URLs, in the context of a
      specification for a language of global hypertext references.

      These global hypertext references include more semantics than just
      differentiating between protocols and accessing data. There are also
      issues of determining the type and the identity of the referent data.

SGML as a syntactic specification tool

   That's what it's for, after all. What I propose is a DTD that (with the
   default SGML declaration) defines the language of global hypertext