CGI/Perl vs. Middleware

Glad we are talking again.

I'd like to see some discussion about the pros and cons of the use
of middleware products (Nomad WEBDBC, the Oracle and Sybase products,
Cold Fusion, Spyder, MS IDC, Live Wire) vs applications specific CGI and Pearl solutions.

I've heard alot about the advantages of products that work "in process" and talk directly to NSAPI and ISAPI vs "out of process i.e.: CGI
scripts"

My opinion is that CGI/Perl is "old school" and that the future of client/server www functionality is clearly based on in-process middleware
solutions.

Hope this sparks some discussion.

Steve

Technology Briefings            Client/Server Solutions

                     T/SA   L t d.

Information Architecture     WWW + Database Integration

                    tsaltd@panix.com
                     (212) 343-0209