Re: Will browsers support multiple proxy servers?

On Tue, 20 Jun 1995, Monica Berko wrote:

> We do not have a firewall but run a proxy/caching server to improve
> performance and save network traffic costs.
>
> However it is a single point of failure because we don't have an automatic
> failover strategy and no out-of-hours coverage. What I would like is to be
> able to configure the browsers with at least two proxy servers (one as the
> default) just as one does with DNS nameservers, and run a proxy server
> (without cache) on another system just in case the main server fails.

Monica,

It will be a while before browsers can do this.  I suggest you organise a
specific machine ready to take over proxying, and implement commented out
lines in your DNS files so the pointer to wwwproxy.anu.edu.au can be
switched easily.  Alternatively, have a separate machine which you can easily
re-ifconfig to the appropriate IP address. Or, really getting fancy,
put the two machines on different nets (same IP address) and control who
gets the traffic by changing a static route in the rotuer.

Danny