Re: comments re draft version 2.0

You correctly observe that readers have been successfully interpreting

    D^2 y   --> (D@D) (y)

and

    x^2 y   -->  x * x * y

(or for that matter   sin x  --> sin(x)   versus     a x   --> a * x )
essentially forever.  The information used to achieve this understanding
is derived from the context (subject matter of  paper, course )
and perhaps additional knowledge about
the roles and properties of  specific instances of the variables
communicated by adopting "standard" usage in a particular exposition.

But, software almost always encounters such expressions with less
context than the human reader, from the outset -- often just the expression
its-self.  Thus, in order for  software to successfully catch the
distinction the
encoding of the must carry that extra information (either explicitly or
through documented defaults)

(aside:  this double use of notation is a difficult point for many weaker
students as well,  perhaps because they  too have too little context.)