RE: browser integration

Hi,

> just a quick question, since you mentioned "browser integration":  when do
> you think would it be reasonable to expect a verion of Netscape's and/or
> Microsoft's browsers with built-in MathML capabilities, or at least with
> seamless integration for plug-ins?

Although we've just started a project to put MathML into Mozilla I would
estimate that it is going to take around 6 months to a year to get something
really solid and ready for integrating into a release proper. This is not as
bad as it sounds. If we wanted to hit Release 5.0 of Netscape
Navigator(Mozilla 1.0 ?) then we would need to be progressing very rapidly
as the core layout functionality is being ruled off as feature complete in
the next week or so.... any extensions to that would really have to have
been in place long before now.

My hope is that Netscape 6.0 will have proper MathML support...but this
depends on volunteer effort ;)

Dave

David Fiddes, CALM Software Production Officer, Mozilla-MathML project
co-owner
Department of Mathematics, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh
email D.J.Fiddes@hw.ac.uk - Tel: +44 131-451-3251