Re: 'Bevel' fraction

>Isn't raising fractions just a style issue to be decided by the render
>or style sheet, that is, couldn't the mathml
>
><mrow>
>    <mi>a</mi>
>  <mo>/</mo>
>    <mi>b</mi>
></mrow>
>
>be rendered as:
>
>    (like 'a/b', but letters are smaller then regular and 'a' is located
>    higher then 'b')
>
>without any special markup, if that is the style you want for inline fractions?
>
>(although that would have all the horrible features of tex's \over
>command: requiring an arbitrary amount of backtracking once you find the
>/ in order to raise the a. However that backtracing is needed anyway
>because / is specified as stretchy in the operator dictionary, so its
>size depends on the size of a. (Which incidentally means, I believe,
>that DSSSL (never mind XSL) is not powerful enough to render MathML,
>which is a shame.)
>
>David

No backtracking (in the conventional sense of the word) is needed for
rendering stretchy operators.  It is, as specified in the recommendation,
a two pass linear operation:  find the size of all non stretchy children,
tell all of the stretchy children to stretch to that size.

At a MathML meeting in INRIA this spring, we were told (basically) 'XSL
will never be powerful enough to render MathML'.  To be precise, I think what
was said was more like:  'you are welcome to propose optional flow objects
for XSL to support MathML, but it is very unlikely that they will be
implemented by the major browser manufactors'.

	Neil Soiffer