Re: Browser Geographic ID

On Sat, 23 Mar 1996, David L. Smith wrote:

> It would seem to make sense to make the geographic building block zip codes,
> either 5 or 9 digit. City definitions change and zips enable a better
> subtrate for Geodemographic analyses.
> DLS

Or rather, postal code. Zip and Zip+4 would be a dream come true inside the
U.S. market, but of course wouldn't mean much outside the U.S.

Going back to the charter page, this touches on two of the listed issues:

[1001] Accessing Geography Information.
     How can one determine the geographic location of a user?
[1002] Representing Geography Information.
     Is geographic information important emnough and consistent enough to
     specify a tag? Should this be within the core group of tags or
     specified separately in a set of "extension" tags?

Re 1002:
Is it important enough to specify a tag? My vote is yes.
Is it consistent enough to specify a tag? Hmm. If we stick to postal
   codes, possibly so, even though the codes themselves vary from country to
   country. For example, if I'm not mistaken, Canadian codes include
   alpha characters.
Should this be within the core group of tags? Yes.

1001 is still the key question. If we don't have an accurate way to
determine the geo info, there's no point in putting it in the log.
Similarly, if we're simply determining it after the fact, i.e., by
analysing IP addresses and domains, there is no point in putting it in
the log.

James Calloway, General Manager                     http://www.nando.net
Nando.net, a McClatchy New Media company
127 W. Hargett St., Suite 406, Raleigh, NC 27601-1351
Voice: (919) 836-2858  FAX: (919) 829-8924