ANNOUNCEMENT of W3C Reference Library 3.1

>>From www-lib-request@w3.org Mon Aug 14 19:02:53 1995
>To: www-talk@w3.org, www-lib@w3.org
>Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT of W3C Reference Library 3.1
>Date: Mon, 14 Aug 1995 13:01:53 -0400
>From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
>Sender: www-lib-request@w3.org
>

>			    *  *  *  *  *
>
>	    World-Wide Web Consortium Software Distribution
>
>  The W3C Reference Library is a general code base written in C. It can
>  be used as a basic tool for writing both single threaded and multi
>  threaded Web applications like clients, servers, proxies etc. It
>  contains reference code for accessing HTTP, FTP, Gopher, News, WAIS,
>  Telnet servers, and the local file system and a lot functionality to
>  handle data objects rendered in various media types.
>
>                            *  *  *  *  *
>
>This is the announcement of the version 3.1 release of the W3C
>Reference Library going into public domain. The code word for this
>release is support for remote collaborate work where people can use
>HTTP and the Web as a remote authoring environment.
>
>In addition to the new set of features and functionality this release
>also is the first example of source code distributed under the W3C
>conditions. This means that the code has been available to consortium
>members one month from the official release date which was July 14,
>but now is going into public domain. The Library is now under MIT
>copyright and the copyright statement is available in the source
>distribution file or at
>
>	http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/COPYRIGHT.html
>
>The source code can be found at:
>
>	http://www.w3.org/hypertext/Dist/
>
>Note that there is both a "zip" file, a "gzip'ed tar" file, and a
>"compressed tar" file
>
>You can find the new documentation from the status page which is the
>top-node for the Library
>
>	http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/Library/
>
>As usual, we also have a "Internals and Programmer's Guide" which is
>available at
>
>	http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/Library/User/Guide/
>
>Another new formality is that everybody who makes modifications,
>contributions etc. and wishes to incorporate them as part of the W3C
>software distribution must sign a form that gives MIT the permissions
>to use the contributions under the terms of the W3C software
>distribution. This form is available at
>
>	http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/PATCHES.html
>
>The Library is known to compile on Sun4, Solaris, HP Snake, NeXTSTEP,
>Ultrix, OSF/1, Linux, SGI, AIX, NetBSD, and Windows NT. There is a
>special README-WinNT file at the same location as the distributions
>files explaining how to compile on an NT box. Please have a look at
>the list of supported platforms for more information:
>
>        http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/Library/User/Platform/
>
>Here you will find many hints and ideas about the specific platforms.
>Even though the Library and the Line Mode Browser is known to compile
> [...]
Christian Promitzer                                 cprom@iicm.tu-graz.ac.at
Institute for Information Processing and Computer Supported New Media (IICM)
                   Graz University of Technology, Austria
Voice: ++43/316/873-5644                                Fax: ++43/316/824394
                       /_/  |_|

For information on Hyper-G look at http://hyperg.iicm.tu-graz.ac.at/Chyperg