Hello all:

     I've watched this thread for some time but am a bit confused.
David and Scott, are you disagreeing and if so what is the disagreement?
Certainly people should know how to use there technology and also the web developer should use correct markup.
Also, certainly, blind poeple differ due to many things, only one of which might be technology or knowledge of
their technology.
The conclusions based on the facts are?
Implications for usability testing?

Should web designers use universal/accessible design?  Yes.
Should they not bother until a blind person has taken some course in using their tools (e.g. screen reader/browser)
No, they should continually work on it just as they would work on improving their web site for everyone.

Puzzled,

Steve

>>> "Nissen, Dan E" <Dan.Nissen@UNISYS.com> 05/31/02 02:26PM >>>

I think the lack of testing with real subjects is a big problem for many
people. I was at the convention of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society
listening to some researchers from New Mexico. They were working
accessibility for the blind with sighted subjects because they had no source
of local blind subjects (except the approximately 3 students in the school
who were blind). I suggested they start with the state agency for the blind
(I work with Texas Commission for the Blind in my job as a computer
supplier). But, I think there is a need for some help to researchers and
developers in getting good subjects. And there is no substitute for people
with real problems, because of the state of the usability science.

Regards,
Dan