Gregg,

Where are the LC numbering coming from?  I do not seee that in the database. Do we have a master list so I can respond accordingly?  For now I am using "Issue 24".

Katie

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregg Vanderheiden
Sent: May 16, 2006 6:51 PM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: LC-506

LC-506

Jason White                 5/5/2006

W2       2.1.1

TE

As proposed by Charles McCathieNevile in commenting on the November 2005 working draft, the term "textual interface" should be used instead of "keyboard interface". Some software interfaces do not accept keystroke input directly, but instead receive character input; they are not "keyboard interfaces" as defined in the glossary

Proposed Change

"Substitute \""textual interface\"" for \""keyboard interface\"", and define \""textual interface\"" as an interface used by software to receive characters or keystroke input. Under this definition, keystroke input is included; thus compatibility with a keyboard interface would satisfy the success criterion, as would compatibility with any software mechanism capable of receiving character input, whether from a keyboard or any other kind of input device.

"

Proposed Resolution from Team A

Not Accepted

Related to old issue  1836

This was discussed on January 12 teleconference and it was decided then to keep the current phrasing. The rationale is as follows:

The term keyboard interface here is use to refer to the API that the user agent
uses to get its keystrokes from. The keystrokes include up and down arrows,
function keys, and other keystrokes that are not text. The reason we use the
phrase is to cover keyboard emulators (such as mouse or pen keyboards) and
devices that don't have native keyboards (pda's) but accept them as accessories
(via their keyboard interface). This language also matches a number of other
accessibility standards and is better for harmonization.

Note also that definition of Keyboard Interface now reads:

keyboard interface

interface used by software to obtain keystroke input

Note 1: Allows users to provide keystroke input to programs even if the native technology does not contain a keyboard.

Example: A touch screen PDA has a keyboard interface built into its operating system as well as a connector for external keyboards. Applications on the PDA can use the interface to obtain keyboard input either from an external keyboard or from other applications that provide simulated keyboard output, such as handwriting interpreters or speech to text applications with "keyboard emulation" functionality.

Note 2: Operation of the application (or parts of the application) through a keyboard operated mouse emulator, such as MouseKeys, does not qualify as operation through a keyboard interface because operation of the program is through its pointing device interface - not through its keyboard interface.

No change to document.