W3C

- MINUTES -

Education and Outreach Working Group Teleconference

19 Aug 2016

Summary

EOWG met briefly to consider three things: First, the possibility of a future face to face meeting this year and second, to review progress on resource management and finally to get an update on WAIweb site redesign. Howard Kramer has offered to host EO for a face to face to meeting at the Accessing Higher Ground conference in Boulder Colorado the week of November 14th. EO participants are requested to update availability for such a meeting at their earliest convenience. Resource management updates were delivered as follows:

Laura spoke about her approach to the resources recently assigned to her and chairs agreed to review her draft and comment today. The call has gone out for design style tiles for the new web site. There are three positive responses from people who have committed to submitting them. We would like more however, so if you know good condidates, please send contact info to Sharron so she can invite their participation. Brent wrapped up with a reminder to complete surveys and continue work on the resources assigned to you - thanks all!

Agenda

Attendees

Present
Shawn, Sharron, Brent, Joy, Laura, EricE, Caleb, James, Howard, dboudreau
Regrets
AnnaBelle, Susan, Sylvie, Shadi, Adina, Kazuhito, Andrew
Chair
Brent
Scribe
Sharron

Contents

Potential F2F in 2016

Brent: Have met twice this year - once at CSUN and once at AccessU. Since so few are coming to TPAC, no f2f but will focus on outreach to other groups. There is another opportunity this year in November in Boulder CO in the US at the Accessing Higher Ground. Several will be there, several maybes andstill waiting on other responses.

If you can go to the survey at your earlierst conveninece and let us know if it is possible for you to attend. The f2f meetings are very productive so if you can swing it, it is highly recommended. Before we begin making firm plans, want to make sure we understand who is coming. Howard do you want to talk about AHG?

Howard: Two days of preconference with hands-on experience. Similar to AccessU, Eric will teach a preconference and the program is posted.

Happy to answer questions after you have looked through the schedule. Great networking opportunity.

Brent: any questions?

Sharron: What would be the focus of a face to face meeting at AHG?

<Howard> AHG conference program can be found at: http://accessinghigherground.org/schedule-2016/#cs_2016-11-16

Brent: Depends on who comes...but likely to be high priority resources and work on them together, redesign perhaps and whatever the group would like to focus on.

Mobile Accessibility

Brent: Susan is the RM and is doing a deep dive but in the meantime there were errors and seriously outdated information. Shawn and Judy therefore did an interim update for accuracy and making sure it was current. Susan will do a more thorough review and bring to the group.
... any questions?

RM Update - WCAG Overview

Brent: I have been going through existing content, created a document that noted old info and places where it could benefit from iconography. There were circular references and some that needed to be reviewed for inclusion here. Few places where the order could be different. However since it is related to Overveiw not sure it is appropriate. Now I am working with Shawn, Eric has made a repository...
...Will bring new content suggestions within the next few weeks as part of the WCAG intro docs and I wanted to start here. Any questions?

RM Update - Quick Tips

Denis: Not much activity since I am on vacation. However, continued to read and created a spreadsheet to contain comments. That comment document of review for currently published tips will be ready in the next few weeks.
... Also reviewing the 3 unpublished ones, especially Managing. Will be back with suggestions for first series of Tips and suggestions for new. Will use Eric's format to address the updates. It is starting to make a lot of sense to me.
... once that is completed, will transfer to GitHUb and discuss as issues.

Shawn: First, there were pending issues in GitHub around image formatting. James began to help with those.
... also we had not decided for sure to publish those other three. So before you spend too much time, we should determine if we even want to go forward.

Denis: I began making my case for including all of them. Essentially, the QA people really need this kind of support. The one that was most difficult to fit was Advocating. Not sure EO has resources to point to, but it is a very important piece. May need to create or find resources that we are confident in and can point to.

Shawn: But recall that it is a higher bar to point to external resources.

Denis: I scanned the existing issues in GitHub but need background. Once I understand more completely, will address them over time.

Shawn: You spoke about doing two things in parallel - cleaning up existing and publishing new. Should we discuss priorities?

Denis: Well, I am also interested in adding more tips to the ones that exist in developing and designing. Want to make changes beyond the GitHub issues.
... maybe if there were a lot of discussions and you do not want to do that, we should discuss. I am focused on giving thumbs up to existing as well as looking at the unpublished.

Brent: You should know that we have landed on a deliberate discussion of what should be there and what was extraneous. We were really strongly going for brevity, trying to keep these as short lists, not to overwhlem people. So please bring your ideas and the rationale for them to the group before spending time developing them. Should we polish the ones published and then turn to those unpublished?

<shawn> +1 to focusing first on getting new ones out - since we don't have *anything* for those

Denis: I feel that the existing ones are pretty light. I am doing a presentation next month and using this as the foundation. However I find that there is a lot that is not here that should be in any tips to designers and developers.
... it is easier to keep adding to what is here than to add new categories or stages. If the group prefers to focus on the unpublished ones, I am willing.

Brent: This is a tough decision since it was meant to be a Getting Started Guide, not to overwhelm people. A discussion was always to consider building a next level of support as resources were available.

Sharron: EOWG envisioned Quick Start as place to take first baby steps with the idea that eventually we might build a bigger playground. Create the next stage where we can send designers and developers to. Consider that - rather than expanding quicktips to too many things - we tried to keep it somewhere around 10 - allow people new to the topic to feel that "this isn't so bad," I can do this - then we have the next level of guidance. So I would just ask that you keep in mind that original purpose of making people feel welcome and comfortable -- then other stuff is next step. one idea was build out the Tutorials some more and send people there as they need more detail. Could you consider that as possibility?

Denis: When I submitted the vision I had of a more robust resource based on roles, I had something like that in mind. So I am trying to keep in mind the Quick Tips intent while providing more robust support to developers and designers.
... take the example of the tables tutorial. It would be nice if we had a resource that described some of these issues, broken down into smaller topics that would make it easy to find how to associate table headers with table cells. A modular approach similar to a tips structure.
... it would be less daunting as a document when broken down into separate tips. Granular pieces that merge together into a bigger resource. Is it Tips as a first step or another way to organize?

Shawn: Easy Checks criteria> - don't have for "Getting Started Tips." With Easy Checks, there were very specific criteria for what to include or not. The criteria for the Tips was not as clear. The Planning and Implementation Guide began with this as separate pages but the group decided it worked better as a coherant related whole.
... a few weeks ago you had said you would send a description of what you have, an example of one or two and a list of topics that have not been included that you would like to see addressed.

Denis: Yes, I totally forgot about that. I will get back to you so you can remind me.

Brent: Any other comments or questions? Great update Denis, I appreciate your energy and enthusiasm. Will make our resources more robust - we were excited about the Tip a Day idea.

RM UPdate - Training Resources

Brent: Andrew is unable to attend today, sent update email. Is using the template to create an update document based on his careful review of the existing resource. He has read through all of them and is considering them in detail.
... will be reporting back next week. Any comments or questions?

Update RM - Intro to Web Accessibility

Brent: One on W3C site and one on WAI site, Sharron and Shawn

Shawn: Basically, the plan is to update the W3C one and put it in both places. Sharron is making sure that there is no important info on the WAI one that needs to be in both places.

Brent: Comments or questions on this topic?
... Any updates or questions from other RMs about their resources?

Sharron: How are you feeling Laura as a new RM?

Laura: Feeling pretty good and sent you and Brent a first approach. I am waiting for your feedback.

Brent: Yes, good step. We will send feedback to you, you can integrate that and then send to the planning group and set up a repository to progress. Sorry to hold you up.

Laura: I did the 'Referencing and Linking to WAI' document first - easier than 'Selecting Authoring Tools'

Brent: Next week we will have MaryJo on Policies, Eric on Components List, Caleb on easy Checks, Eric on Tutorials.

Shawn: May have content from Laura, Denis, or Shawn/Sharron

Denis: Yes, you can put me down for a report.

Brent: Tentatively, Shadi may have Planning and Managing Suite on the 26th as well.

Eric: I wanted you to know I will not be at the meeting next week

Brent: OK yours will be on Sept 9

WAI site update

Brent: Have been calling out for submissions. We have learned we will get a few - three have said they will submit. But would still like more submissions.
... those of you who have friends who are solid graphic designers with accessibility experience, please send contact info to Sharron
... questions?

RM Update - Eval Template

<Howard> https://github.com/w3c/wai-eval-report-templates/

Howard: I completed the requirements document for the Evaluation Report Template. Got feedback from Shadi, Eric and Sharron. Not much new work this week will have more to report in two weeks.

<Howard> Objectives (I.e. Required Updates) - All references and links to WCAG 1.0 need to be changed to WCAG 2.0 (at least 12 occurrences) - Reference new evaluation report tool in introduction - Possibly mention Easy Checks in first paragraph as a potential first step for someone new to this process (Shadi's suggestion) - Sync report format with what new report tool generator produces. (This might include recommending changes to language/terminology for the [CUT]

Howard: will be working on these suggestions, update from wcag1 and sync with Eval Report Tool so they cross reference and share terminolgy.

Work for this Week

Brent: Mostly will be the standard minute review and request for anything to bring to the planning group.
... within the next week or two will be bringing more resources to the meetings and the surveys.

Sharron: Remember to make the effort to get to Boulder for a f2f at Accessing Higher Ground.

Denis: Echo that, it is a great conference.

Brent: Any other new business? Otherwise, we are adjourned. Thanks all

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.144 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/08/19 13:37:31 $