W3C

- Minutes -

Education and Outreach Working Group Teleconference

08 Jul 2016

Summary

EOWG convened to consider progress on the management of the WAI resources as reported by various RMs. They are as follows:

1. Shawn and Sharron reported that the Accessibility intro on the W3C site will be updated with current references and then duplicated (for now) on the WAI site. It will include a link to the Accessibility, Usability, and Inclusion doc. Will reconsider after redesign is complete.
  2. Eric reported that he had worked through all comments of the UI Components list and asked for EO participants to please be sure to comment and demonstrate their position on the presentation and management plan.
  3. Eric reported that he had circulated a plan for approaching the Tutorials. EO appreciated his plan and suggested using as a template for other RM tasks going forward.
  4. Mary Jo reported that she and Shawn have met, crafted a high level approach for getting started on policy updates, and promised more soon.
  5. Caleb reported that the short term goal for Easy Checks was to publish without draft status. He is addressing GitHub issues and once they are met will come back for approval to publish. Developing plan for longer term enhancements, with EO approval.
  6. Brent reported for Shadi that Perspectives resource has been updated with all comments and approval to publish survey is posted.
  7. Denis asked if there was intent to update Getting Started Tips or only to manage what is there. Sharron encouraged him to look at set of three that had not been published, recommend how to address those and then make longer term plan to articulate his vision.
  8. Howard noted that his resource, the general guide to evaluation was written before WCAG2 and still has references to WCAG1. Suggested quick fix and then consider removing. Shawn said not to just jump in and make changes but to bring project plan and requirements analysis to the group to create shared understanding. Eric will make a GitHUb repository.

Brent thanked everyone for the useful updates and reminded them that we will hear from Resource Managers on a regular rotation at every meeting. Anyone wishing to bring a topic to the group please step up. All are welcome to join Thursday planning meeting if it is helpful to you. In reviewing the updates to the Resource Management Life Cycle, James noted that details have been moved to sub-pages and encouraged everyone to add to those. Brent reminded everyone to check the work for this week, update availability, and keep up the good work. Thanks all!

Agenda

Attendees

Present
Shawn, Brent, Howard, dboudreau, maryjom, EricE, Laura, Cale, Sharron, James, Kazuhito
Regrets
Adina, Andrew, AnnaBelle, Joy, Shadi, Susan, Sylvie
Chair
Brent
Scribe
Sharron

Contents

Update from Resource Manager

Brent: We have looked at the list of resources, and making sure that the high priority items are being addressed. These reports are not meant to be formal, take as much or as little time as needed to let EO know where we are and what is the current status and approach.
... today we have five items.

Sharron:Shawn and I are considering as a groups the main intro to accessiiblity docs (1 on W3C site, 1 on WAI site) and the related one on inclusion. We came up with both a short-term and a long-term approach. Until WAi site redesign is done, we will maintain two similar docs - one on WAI site, one on W3C site. Bith will point to inclusion discussion. After redesign maybe have the WAI page the main one and on W3C site just a brief pointer to WAI

Shawn: There is a very tailored approach on the W3C site and until we get the redesign complete, we thought we would maintain essentially duplicate content.

Brent: Is there any objection to that idea?

Denis: it would make the most sense to me to pull people into the WAI site when the redesign is ready.

Eric: You are working on one resource that you are posting two places and then later just one on the WAI site with lead-in on W3C?

Sharron: Yes

<laura> +1

<yatil> +1

<Brent> +1

Brent: Next is Eric and UI Components list

Eric: Because of the holiday, we did not get much response so are leaving the survey open. Please do comment in that survey and show your support for this approach. Any questions are welcome. Would like to get them solved so that we can release the resource.

Brent: Tutorials update from Eric

Eric: I have sent email to the people who volunteered to participate in tutorials work. Getting the work started by reveiwing pull requests, will complete that review pretty quickly. We have list of what we hope to achieve, long and short term goals. If you have comments or questions, don't hesitate. Denis, Susan, Howard,Shadi, Adina have volunteered to help and I expect this to be quite straightforward. Please jump in if you want to help review. We will bring our review comments to groups for approval on how to proceed.

Brent: Thanks Eric - any comments or questions?

Denis: I think the email Eric sent is clear, good direction about what we need to do, no questions.

Brent: Good job modeling that Eric, we can use as a guide for RMs

Denis: Is there a Roadmap for new tutorials?

Eric: Not as such, do have a wiki page that has suggestions

<yatil> Wiki page with possible future topics

Denis: When we think about Quick Tips, it would be great to link to or to grow into a tutorial, they could align and feed each other for consistency.

Eric: Yes that is a good idea. Start on QTs and if you want to learn more, link to a tutorial

Brent: Next update comes about the Policies document. Mary Jo is leading, Wayne is supporting.

MaryJo: Just getting started, I had a call with Shawn about scope and how she thought we might proceed. I do have a plan of attack and will start by determining what information is needed. Will develop list of issues, create a format for posting policies.
... also need to understand how people will submit and once that is all settled will put out a call and get started on the actual update.

Sharron: What will the call be and how can we support you?

MaryJo: Will start with the WAI-IG list and put a pointer to a form that allows input. We will then review what people submit.

Shawn: We plan first to do a targeted ask to people who have volunteered to help with specific countries/regions

<yatil> [Andrew - Australia, Sylvie - France, Eric - Germany, Shadi - Austria, Denis - Canada, rest - USA]

Denis: The current policies page seems to be lacking in format. There is no consistency.
... makes it hard to compare between different entries.

Brent: Anyone who wants to report on their resource, don't wait for the rotation, feel free to step up when ever you are ready. Otherwise will be about 5 each week.
... next is Easy Checks.

Caleb: I have taken the lead on the Easy Checks. I will take Eric's email as a template. I have reviewed the resource, looked at all issues. The plan is to publish out of draft status and I will work through current issues - once those are complete, we can publish. Longer term we will add interactive content and more checks and make it work with the new design. But for now just need to make it work.

Brent: Thanks, I have put feedback I got at AccessU user testing into the wiki.
... It seemd that the wiki got abandoned and so I have been looking at GitHUb instead.

Caleb: AnnaBelle's comment had mostly to do with the illustrations so I want her to be satisfied those have been addressed.

<shawn> Shawn: use me as point person

<shawn> Sharron: flashing/blinking content?

<shawn> ... there is a draft of the section started

Shawn: Not sure all wiki issues got moved into GitHub, feel free to use me as a the first contact.

<shawn> https://github.com/w3c/EasyChecks/issues/1

Brent: To close up this part of the agenda, does anyone want to provide updates today?

Denis: I thought QuickTips were part of this?

Brent: Next week unless you want to go today...

Denis: Sure, I have looked at the existing QTs and looked at my long list to see what is expected. Eric's email is helping me figure it out. Is it to just to review or to jump into creating new one?
... I would like them to have more meat than the ones that are there.
... they seem like a summary behind a technique

<Brent> Tips for Getting Started: https://www.w3.org/WAI/gettingstarted/tips/index.html

Denis: considering putting more than this to be in newer ones
... what is groups expectation?

<yatil> [thinks that the current tips are like we envisioned them]

Sharron: I suggest that you look at quicktips and how they were conceived. meant for that person, often the "accidental accessiiblity cooridnator" who has been dropped into the role and is looking for a simple toehold to keep from falling over the cliff. EOWG worked on them and gave a lot of consideration - seem that they are doing pretty much what they are supposed to do, although limited to only 3 roles right now.
... maybe you can look at the other ones that we did not agree on and get those in shape to publish. To me tour idea to provide more is valuable. So as RM, you can think of it as a whole and bring proposal and vision to group. The lonely accessibility coordinator's guide - next step after quicktips or something to provide more depth to the QTs

<shawn> Tips Requirements Analysis: Quick Start Guides/Requirements Analysis

Denis: If we provide something more substantial, it begins to make a lot of different levels of tips may not be the best approach. Let me think about it as a resource manager, would want greater organization. The Tips section leading to a tutorial.

Brent: Recall what the resource was originally meant to do.
... feel free to come to one of the planning meeting.

Sharron: I love the idea of mapping QTs to Tutorials for more in depth support.

<shawn> [ e.g., requirements "Avoid overwhelming users with too much information, but ensure they have enough to understand what they need to do."]

<Howard> https://www.w3.org/WAI/eval/template

Howard: I have been looking at the template for accessibility evaluation reports - needs to update from WCAG1
... I thought the WCAG-EM might have superseded this but Shadi thinks it is a good overall approach and should be updated and is worth keeping and refreshing for contemporary use.

Shawn: I think all related information should be in sync. Now we have the WCAG-EM Methodology, we have the BAD eval report,and we have this. Think about alignment. Right now we need at very least, a note that says this is oout of date and links to something that is current.
... needs to be rewritten to sync with the others.

Howard: That makes sense. In the short term at least let's update the links to current resources rather than posting an alarm note at the top.

<Sharron> +1 to that approach

Shawn: So it would be useful to have a project plan similar to Eric's email template. What we are doing short term, long term, etc.

Brent: Would strongly recommend not putting a disclaimer note. Rather do the quick fixes that make that unnecessary.

Shawn: But today there is a mistake - why would we not address it?

<yatil> +1 for mentioning that we are actively working on that

Sharron: GitHub?

<scribe> ACTION: EricE to put old eval page on GitHub [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/07/08-eo-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-362 - Put old eval page on github [on Eric Eggert - due 2016-07-15].

Shawn: This process is highlighting the fact that RMs need not to just jump in and make changes but to bring project plan and requirements analysis to the group to create shared understanding.

Brent: Any other comments or other updates?

<shawn> Reminder - to send info for planning: <team-eo-plan@w3.org>

Brent: Denis, since you will report again next week, please attend planning meeting next Thursday will send info.
... Thanks and plan to report on rotation every week and feel free to jump in spontaneously as you wish.

Web Accessibility perspectives

Brent: Shadi has a few issues around the media player but has worked through all other comments. Has created an approval for publiscation survey. Links to each of the pages and shows the changes made due to comments.
... you may review and then there is an approval question. That will be on work for this week.

Denis: Is there any chance we will have budget to create more videos?
... are there plans to create more?

Shawnw: It was part of a European Commission project that is closed. There is no more funding at this time and no plans that I know of to seek that funding.

Updates

Eric: Getting Started Tips were updated some time ago that were faciliated by Shadi. Those were published this week with a few minor bug fixes

Shawn: Do we want to do more announcements about the updates as an outreach and promotion opportunity?
... do we have a change log?

Eric: We do not have one at this time, but it is a good idea to maintain.

<scribe> ACTION: Shadi to create change log for Getting Started Tips [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/07/08-eo-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-363 - Create change log for getting started tips [on Shadi Abou-Zahra - due 2016-07-15].

<Kazuhito> change log can be useful, in case someone (maybe me) want to translate some of them and keep maintaining

<shawn> Shawn: Especially when there are translations, we provide a specific changelog

<Brent> RDLC: https://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/RDLC

Update on Resource Management Life Cycle

Brent: Internal resource there for RMs to manage and document thier work on various resources. Survey a few weeks ago accepted comments. James has worked through them, updated stages, worked with the commenters and as a result the RDLC has been updated.
... each stage now is a link to a subpage where tips and templates can be added as we do this work.
... can add process steps etc. We have finalized the RDLC, document is ready to go, please use it add to sub pages and request more info as needed.
... comments, questions?

James: Appreciate any addition to the subpages.

Brent: Take the opportunity to ask questions when you are unsure about the meaning of any stage and build out the content of the subpages.
... feel free to add to the wiki or ask James or me for guidance.

James: The headings on the subpages match the table headers on the main RDLC

<yatil> [Resource Development Life Cycle table is now vertical aligned top and the headings are left aligned.]

Brent: So everyone now just needs to make sure that your resources have been added to the management tool that Eric built.
... we left the survey open so that the UI Componenets list can get approval. There will be a couple of other surveys as well and will be posted to work for this week.

<yatil> ACTION: EricE to compare Resource Management Tool content to the WAI sites table and see if there are some missing [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/07/08-eo-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-364 - Compare resource management tool content to the wai sites table and see if there are some missing [on Eric Eggert - due 2016-07-15].

<Kazuhito> I hope any resource won't be deleted from server, even if it's "retired"...

<yatil> [Kazuhito, we have a URL preservation policy - so we would point to new resources.]

<Kazuhito> ok, thank you yatil

<yatil> [Or clearly mark them as outdated.]

Brent: OK thanks everyone, look for work for this week

<Kazuhito> sorry to be late, and IRC only, thank you all

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: EricE to compare Resource Management Tool content to the WAI sites table and see if there are some missing [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/07/08-eo-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: EricE to put old eval page on GitHub [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/07/08-eo-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Shadi to create change log for Getting Started Tips [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/07/08-eo-minutes.html#action02]

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.144 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/07/08 13:59:14 $