W3C

- Minutes -

Education and Outreach Working Group Teleconference

17 Jun 2016

Summary

Shawn started the meeting by reminding the group that Eric has completed his work on the EOWG Resource Management Tool and we are all invited to move the documentation for resources we manage into that database. The next several minutes were taken with EO paticipants trying it out, commenting, and asking questions. Sharron next asked participants to ask people to take the survey used to create personas for the WAI website redesign. We are particularly interested in inviting people from outside the accessibility community since we are trying to improve the reach of WAI resources. Shadi next reported that he had received many helpful comments about the text on the Perspectives video pages. He is processing and responding to comments and will bring back newer versions to EOWG in small batches for group approval in the next few weeks. Be alert to notices for when the new versions are ready for review. Also the full public release of the UI Components List has been delayed pending resoluton of ideas for different approaches to the "ownership" of components as well as the submission process and the subsequent responsibility for managing comments. Finally Shawn noted that primary work for this week will be the Resource Management. Tose who want to give up some resources please enter them in the database and put @@@needed in the column for RM. Thanks to all, the meeting adjourned.

Agenda

Attendees

Present
Susan, Shawn, Sharron, Brent, Caleb, Laura, shadi, James, Howard, dboudreau, Andrew
Regrets
Kazuhito, Eric, Anna_Belle, Adina
Chair
Shawn
Scribe
Sharron

Contents

Resource Management Tool

Shawn: Eric created this online way to track and manage our resources and we wanted to allow everyone to try to upload a resource and see how the new tool works and is useful or if you have any questions.
... for example, my own status is that I have reviewed all that were assigned to me and uploaded the info into the RM tool. Suggest you do the same and report on how it has been working for you.
... It has worked well for me
... So the question is that have you entered current status into the tool? let's go around and hear from everyone.

Susan: Since Eric created the tool and has not uploaded all the info, is the question whether we have entered our own info into the tool?

Shadi: Good tool, appreciate the overview. So I guess I use the edit and then enter a pull request?

Shawn: No need for a pull request.

Shadi: How about priorities?

Shawn: Each RM should take a pass at assigning priorities and then it can be reveiwed by chairs and group if needed

Shadi: So it would be good to have that info somewhere

Shawn: The file format inlcudes some instruction, but there proabably needs to be more.

Shawn: other questions?

Sharron: Haven't uploaded any info yet, thought we were doing this in the tool today.

Brent: I have 8 resources and will do them by Thursday. In trying to do it, I have a question. So when I enter the title and the URI, they ask for a repository. Do I have to create that GitHub repository?

Shawn: No, only if one is needed, if it is an active resource. Most of yours are not going to be active, so a repository is probably not needed. If you do need one, Shawn or Eric must set it up so coordinate with us.
... Laura and Caleb, I think you do not have any assigned yet.

Laura: No, not yet but happy to help out anyone who needs it.

Caleb: Me too

Shawn: we will come back to that.
... OK James?

James: Not yet, haven't tried it so have no questions.

Howard: Have not tried to upload my resource so have no questions. In looking at it now, I put some notes in a survey a few weeks ago, can I look at those?

Shawn: Yes, it is still open so you can go back and refer to your notes.

<Andrew> +1 to another walk-through (now or later)

Denis: I have only just looked at it now. Playing around with it, I like the idea of trying to upload today, would like an overview.

Shawn: OK let's do that, starting with the edit button
... shares screen
... walks through adding a resource

Sharron: the questions about requirements analysis...do we need to create one if it does not exist?

Shawn: Only if active.

Susan: Are we not supposed to do requirements analysis for everything so that we have a way to determine next steps, etc?

Shawn: The ones that are not going to be changed probably don't need it
... so for example if a doc needs changing we probably don't need to go all the way back to RA but can just go back one step to draft.
... With the whole web site redesign, we may do more thinking about it.

Sharron: What about when a document is retired, is there justification needed and does that need documentation?

Shawn: Leave it to the discretion of the RM, if documentation or analysis is needed.

<dboudreau> @Sharron - It makes sense to me, for example, I would expect that we have some kind of validation before anyone of us decides to retire anything from the site.

Brent: Something like this, the WCAG Overview needs some revision but does not need requirements analysis. But a document that is going through a more extensive change may need that kind of documentation of how to approach that change. So I agree with leaving it up to the RM to decide.

<shawn> 1+ to RM brings suggestion to chairs

Brent: OK then if requirements are needed, it can be brought to the chairs.

James: In my mind during the review, you decide what the document needs and consider the limited resources, use the process to be as efficient as possible in that determination.

Shawn: Great sounds like we are in agreement, back to the demo...
... but this part "Roadmap" I did not really understand. I interpreted it to mean what is the next stage required.

Brent: When the RM looks at the document, whether existing or new, that person needs to look at the whole cycle for the resource and plan when is the next time for review etc.
... so it would be like an estimated quarterly calendar for when the resource needs to be revisited.

<Caleb> Great idea!

Shawn: Great, thank. Any other comment, questions.

Brent: I am thinking that in the contributor area I will put something like "Help needed" so people know that here is a place I can help out if time is available.

Denis: I am creating one and it is associated with an unofficial, unapproved draft that has never been published, is there a place to reference that?

Shawn: hmmm, it does not seem to have a place for a draft. Some seem to have a draft link but not a place to enter.
... more exploration on screen

Brent: "Priority," is that my priority or the one of the WG?

Shawn: The same with the "Urgency" if it is not wrong (wrong or incomplete info) and does not say draft, it is not urgent.
... it is the priority and urgency of the working group based on those considerations.

Andrew: I have not entered any new one but have explored a bit and have no questions at this time.

<shawn> Sharron: opportunity for info. Also, whenever you have something that will be active - you can join planning call on Thursdays to work out how your resource will go through EOWG

Shawn: OK great, and we will do a weekly review according to a schedule. That way we can check in on a batch of work to make sure we have a way to stay current.

Persona creation

<shawn> .... for Web Site Redesign

<shawn> Sharron: lots of response but 100% were very aware of wai & use the resouces - so not helpful in gettting diversity of developers audience that we were seeking. request that you help find places/lists/people who don't know accessibility

<shawn> We did get push-back about data collection on the WAI-IG list.

James: We would like people to help us reach out beyond the accessibility community.

Shawn: and when you circulate it, be sure you let people know it is not the W3C collecting it, and all questions are optional. Also may want to say that it is long and the more important questions are at the end.

Susan: How to track where we have distributed it?

Brent: Tell people to read through the questions first since it is so long.

Andrew: I have distributed to a small group, can circulate more widely, how long does it take to complete the survey?

Sharron: The average was about 20 minutes

<shawn> Shawn: concerned about negativity on the WAI IG list - and broader backlash... and issues with posting on other lists

Shawn: some of the feedback from the list had a bit of a negative tone, so maybe rather than send to lists, send to individuals

Sharron: there were many more positive comments, but they came to me from off list

Perspectives Pages

Shadi: Thank you everyone for providing the review, 30 comments, around 20 pull requests. I am working through them, some are conflicting recommendations.
... also got some public comments for WAI-IG and will be working all of this in and we agreed with the chairs to work page by page and bring them for approval to the group in small batches rather than all at once.

Shadi: we will post both the current and the changed versions on GitHub so you can compare. Mostly editorial and will bring the first batch to the group next week.

Temporary Martian invasion of WebEx

Shawn: anything else about Perspectives?

UI Components list

Shawn: There was some discussion about the approach to how to vet the submitted proposals. We have had chair/staff level discussion and are drafting an approach to bring to the group that we hope will address concerns and allow the release of the UI tool more publicly.
... anything else, questions about that?

Work for this Week

Shawn: Please spend any extra time this week on your resources, updating information and keep the content review moving forward.
... coming next week will also be a work statement for the Web redesign task Force. ... Caleb and Laura said they were available to help and they could help Brent who had an item that needs support.

James: Caleb is going to take Easy Checks

<shawn> here was the previous assignments : https://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/wai-pages

Shawn: So for those who need to offload, please upload the resource with @@needed in the RM column. Then Laura and Caleb can review. Also can add your name as a helper to any of them.

<shawn> maybe put ideas in a new page under here: https://www.w3.org/community/wai-engage/wiki/Promoting_web_accessibility

Shawn: Thanks everyone, have a great weekend.

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.144 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/06/17 13:52:59 $