G'Day Dudley Mills:

Unknowingly perhaps, you have stumbled upon the dirty little secret of academia. Closeted safely in tenured towers, academics routinely dismiss all patents as invalid due to some idea that everything is prior art. Nothing can be original as it all has been done before. That patron saint of academia has to be the Commissioner of US Patents who wrote about 1900 that the patent office should be closed because everything inventive has already been invented.

Naturally, this begs the question as to how much or many  of their own, endless reams of pubished papers have any real value, other than to justify their tenure by a "publish by the pound or perish" philosophy. In truth, most of the scribblings that academia vomits out are minor in nature, petty in scope and of no real value to anyone. The real value of much of academic output reflects the real value of the academics themselves. Zero. They play at innovation as the fops of former times played at European courts - concerned with minutiae  of no value to the world outside their palace walls. What color, my cravat?  How is my collar turned out?

Because they eat a daily, free lunch - care of those who do produce - academics never have to actually prove themselves in a world where their income depended on someone actually being willing to pay for their self absorbed, maniacal fixation on the non essential.

Academics subconsciously hate real innovators because they fear them and what real, productive inventors represent - hence, the constant pull in academia to a kind of intellectual communism. In this pseudo world, ownership must be killed, since ownership implies responsibility. Responsibility would do away with the echo chambers of the chattering classes where each utterance is chorused by the universal academic chant, "Wow, that is profound. Now, listen to what I say".

My best wishes to you for starting this thread and for continuing it. I have long wondered if in the tawdry emissions of this list, a person of real value actually existed. Best of luck on your patent adventure. May you make ten million. And may the new owner shove it right up academia's butt. What a change if the "watchers" of academia might actually have to become "doers". Take care.

Sincerely

John Milton

Dudley Mills wrote:
G¢Day Noah,

> Disclosure is the whole point of the patent system. Without that there
> would be no reason for the patent system to exist. Please remember
> that it is the governments charge to look after the interest of the
> public not that of private
 enterprises. Disclosure is your part of the
> bargain in exchange for a little bit of the public's freedom.

Wrong. The matter must be disclosed and must be novel and inventive.

> I'd be most grateful if you would point out a major application either
> planned or in
 operation.

> Sure, <http://www.google.com/>, have you heard of it?

I¢d be please if you would point out how Google makes use of Semantic Web concepts.

>I think, perhaps, you chose the wrong free
 software developer to pick
> a fight with.

Not interested in fights. I used GNU¢s bison and yacc 15 years ago to build a
computer language parser and was very pleased with it. I hope the contributors
eventually went on to make some money to support themselves in their old age.

> Business don't pay royalties because they see a value in an idea, they
> pay royalties because they have to.

A bit of both really; no (sensible) business likes parting with money but all
see that they need to spend to make. They choose to spend to make. Certainly
my licensees (other technology) do.

> Please buy my patents and you can have the honour...

> The honour of what? Buying morally corrupt legal devices from someone
> who spams a community mailing list in the most inappropriate way
> possible so that I
 can extort and damage the very community I have
> worked for so long to develop and enrich.

Most interested to learn of your Semantic Web products, especially ones which
you think I would damage. It is quite possible that what was seen as threatening or
damaging would actually be beneficial.

If the result is someone buys the patents and implements the concepts then
the Semantic Web will have lurched forward. Then my messages would not
be spam. http://www.freewebs.com/dudley-mills/index.htm