Re: KD014 Media types for XML

Hi Tim,

Le 18 oct. 2004, à 15:35, Tim Berners-Lee a écrit :
> Of course, if one wants to send the source text of an XML document to
> be interpreted as a plain text file, which as you say is a reasonable
> thing to do, then one sends it as text/plain (with a charset parameter
> if not ASCII).    This is really the transmission of a plain text
> document, in function. I don't think the document disallows this.

The document doesn't forbid, but maybe lack of clarity in terms
definition.

* "representation provider" is not defined in Web Arch document.

The text now:
[[[Good practice:  XML and "text/*"
  In general, a representation provider SHOULD NOT assign Internet media
types beginning with "text/" to XML representations.
]]]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-webarch-20040816/#no-text-xml

My suggestion is on the line of:
*********
In general, a representation provider SHOULD NOT assign Internet media
types begining with "text/" to represent XML data intended to be XML
representations.
*********

Because of the definition you gave in the document:

[[[A representation consists logically of two parts: data (expressed in
one or more formats used separately or in combination) and metadata
(such as the Internet media type of the data).]]]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-webarch-20040816/#def-representation

XML data + text/plain      = Text Representation
XML data + application/xml = XML Representation

Another comment: Be careful. Sometimes you are using "text/" sometimes
"text/*" which might lead to confusions for the reader on your intended
meaning.

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***