section 2.2 - what does it mean to 'take on meaning'

From: Daniel Weitzner <djweitzner@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:18:33 -0400
To: public-webarch-comments@w3.org

Section 2.2 on URI/Resource relationships proposes that URIs take on
;'meaning' based on the HTTP spec.

> For example, the HTTP URI scheme (RFC2616) uses DNS so that names such
> as “http://example.com/somepath#someFrag” take on meaning by way of
> HTTP GET response messages from the domain holder (or an agent they
> delegate to).

I would suggest that it is unclear what it means for a name such as the
one given in the example to have 'meaning.' There's inevitable
confusion about the distinction between the meaning of a URI and the
resources which is references. Personally, I don't believe that the URI
itself has any meaning at all separate from the resource which it
identifies. But this is a philosphical rathole that I think the
document should try to avoid. If the TAG has some reason to leave the
reference to 'meaning' in, I hope it can be clarified.

Thanks,

Danny

--
Daniel J. Weitzner