Re: A possible use case for WordNet [was: RE: WordNet Task Force - wo rk outline]

McBride, Brian wrote:

>Synonym, hypernym and hyponym aware free text search.
>
>This is something that can clearly be done with WordNet on its own with or
>without the semantic web.
>
>It may however be interesting to be able to add controlled vocabularies,
>e.g. the cancer ontology, to a general WordNet based text search engine, so
>that we could determine the synonym, hypernym and hyponym relationships
>between the 'labels' attached to concepts in the ontology.

I think this is a very promising area, and could perhaps be generalized
into a system that was given the URI of a word or document or a Literal
(i.e. a node or small graph) and returned a graph containing related nodes.

(Jena + Lucene might provide a lot of of what's required)

Incidentally, Google are starting to play with blatant semantics
alongside their latent semantic PageRank :

http://labs.google.com/personalized/

Cheers,
Danny.

--