Re: Tech Plenary: agenda Best Practices

>i agree that we should not give instruction from on high.
>At the same time, I think it is important to have more examples of
>how ontologies have been written in semantic web languages and used
>in some applications that people might relate to.
>We do not need to present the work as religious doctrine  but
>instead present it as something that we have done after considering
>other options, optimally present some other options and say what the
>tradeoffs were, and then give examples from which people might be
>motivated (or even cut and paste) and build their own.
>
>The "living with classic paper"  was a very early attempt to do
>something like this.  It provided a methodology that we used for
>building an ontology that was used in the wine and food domain.
>
>It tried not to say this is the only way or even the best way   but
>it did try to say, here are some tradeoffs and here is what we did
>and it worked.

Right. To clarify my meaning, that 'living with Classic' is exactly
the kind of thing I meant by 'severely pragmatic' . I agree this kind
of thing is useful and the more of it we can get (or provide forums
for people to contribute to) the better. For an example of the kind
of thing I think isnt so likely to be useful, try reading
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/mereology/
which is a lovely article on its stated topic but really not a good
guide to practical ontology-building.

BTW, if anyone wants to debate my opinions on mereology and relevance
to the SW, lets do it off-line, I suggest (or maybe it could be a
Task Force??  Nah...)

Pat