W3C

W3C SML Teleconference of 2007-11-01

1 Nov 2007

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Kirk, johnarwe, pratul, Jordan, Sandy, Ginny, Kumar, Zulah_Eckert, Valentina, MSM
Regrets
Marv
Chair
Pratul and John
Scribe
Sandy Gao

Contents

Approval of minutes from previous meeting

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sml/2007Oct/att-0217/2007-10-25-sml-minutes.html__x-mac-creator_0__x-mac-type_0

<scribe> ACTION: John to remember to add link to 10-15 F2F minutes on next week's (11-08) agenda. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/11/01-sml-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot-ng> Created ACTION-148 - Remember to add link to 10-15 F2F minutes on next week's (11-08) agenda. [on John Arwe - due 2007-11-08].

RESOLUTION: Oct 25 minutes approved.

Upcoming meetings

Pratul: beginning of the weeks as we asked; please register early.
... Jan. meeting requires $150 registration fee. ... Fee charged to credit card supplied when you register. registration info email

bug 4639

Ginny: 4th proposal from Kumar.
... will update the document. don't think ready to discuss/decide today.

bug 4687

Kumar: propose an amendment to the proposal in comment #4.
... producers must normalize if there's a DTD; consumers process IF doc normally (including handling a top level DTD).

Sandy: the only thing that's not supported is the schema entity type. all the values will become invalid if the DTD is removed.

Kumar: the unparsed entities can be added to the root DTD

Sandy: then there may be collisions from multiple documents; also when the IF is unpackaged, how to reassign these entities to the individual documents?

Kumar: I think this is a corner case. We can add it later. (the next version of the spec) we don't have time.

Pratul: or we can do only 1.2 in comment #4 for producers.

MSM: prefers what's currently in comment #4. am OK with "just base 64".

Kumar: can't live with proposal in comment #4. it may have complications on document signature. and we haven't had time to think through it.

Pratul: straw poll

Sandy: I like proposal in #4; can live with just 1.2; uncomfortable with just 1.1.

Jordan: no opinion at this point

Kirk: prefer 1.2 only; can live with any other solutions.

Kumar: Prefers 1.1 only. if other options are considered, we need to consider other related issues, which requires more time.

Valentina: prefer 1.2 only

Ginny: OK with comment #4; also OK with 1.2 only (1.1 is allowed anyway).

Zulah: 1.2 only

Pratul: can we agree on 1.2 only; if there's new information arising from the signature issue, it can be reopened.

Kumar: wants to spend more time on this and report back. not sure what impact this has on the rest of the spec and impl.

Pratul: WG leaning toward 1.2 only. Kumar to point out potential problems.

RESOLUTION: conditional consent for 1.2 only. pending Kumar's research result.

bug 4770

Sandy: working on a proposal. Suggest to discuss next week.

bug 4978

Kumar: not our business for SML to define how to report schematron errors. we don't even do that for SML errors.
... and it's not important, and should wait till after other important tasks are done.

John: different WG members may have different views on the importance of these issues.

Pratul: straw poll about importance of this feature. should smlerror:output be kept in the spec?

Jordan: should be taken out.

Kirk: no opinion.

Kumar: drop everything related to smlerr:output.

Sandy: no opinion

Valentina: would help to talk to those who wanted this to understand why they thought it was necessary. don't want to take this out until we know no one needs it.

Ginny: take out

Zulah: no opinion. don't recall any particular use case.

<zulah> the original SML group did not have any strong use cases for this. However there were members who wanted it. My sense is that if someone can demonstrate a strong need via a use case, then we should consider it. However, at this point, we could remove it and reintroduce it if a use case emerges.

<zulah> I'm concerned that we have discussed this on several occasions now and it does waste our time.

Pratul: I wrote this section. If it helps, I can try to go back and investigate the history and report back.

bug 4995

Kirk: sent a document summarizing the situation.

Kumar: comment #4 seems to be based on some assumptions.
... "scope" is a means, not a goal. the goal can already be achieved with what's currently in the spec.

Sandy: it depends on what the goal is. if it's only validity, then yes, it's already achieved; if the goal is to refer to existing keys, then it's not achieved.

Kumar: goal is "being able to refer key sequences existing in other documents".
... second assumption: "the schema author writing the key ref knows how to write the key ref".
... third assumption: "unlike keyref, the schema author of the keyref has no control over how the keys are defined".
... if I have control over keys and keyrefs, I can put them wherever I find that makes most sense to me.

Ginny: 2 cases. one is keys already exist. if they match, then use them instead of copying them. the other is when the desired keys are not available, then new ones are defined.
... should cover both these cases. the "scope" proposal covers both cases. copying always sounds problematic.

Pratul: continue discussion in email; pick up next week.

bug 4811

Ginny: is there a difference between conforming SML model and valid SML model?

John: yes.

Kumar: split second half of section 7 to 2 lists. the first contains current 1-3 for conforming; the second contains 4-7 for validity.
... Then we can adopt Ginny's suggestion.

Sandy: If document criteria requires #ALL, then how can a program running not in #ALL mode be called a conforming validator?
... will add a comment to the bug entry.

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: John to remember to add link to 10-15 F2F minutes on next week's (11-08) agenda. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/11/01-sml-minutes.html#action01]
Last Scribe Date  Member Name               Regrets pending
200y-mm-dd        Vijay Tewari
2007-06-12        Tabbara, Bassam           
2007-08-30        Wilson, Kirk
2007-08-30        Lipton, Paul
2007-09-20        Lynn, James
2007-10-04        Smith, Virginia 
2007-10-16        Valentina Popescu
2007-10-15        Waschke, Marvin
2007-10-17        Eckert, Zulah
2007-10-17        Kumar, Pandit
2007-10-24        Boucher, Jordan