From: Frans Knibbe <frans.knibbe@geodan.nl>
Date: Thursday, 28 July 2016 16:59
To: Chris Little <chris.little@metoffice.gov.uk>, Jon Blower <sgs02jdb@reading.ac.uk>, SDW WG Public List <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: UCR ISSUE-70: add a requirement for avoiding coordinate transformations?

Thank you Jon and Chris, for confirming the sensibility of the candidate requirement.

Let's take it a step further and think about how the requirement could take form. Here is a proposal:

Requirement: "Data consumers should be helped in avoiding coordinate transformations when spatial data from multiple sources are combined"

Related delirables: Best Practices, Coverage in Linked Data

Could this work?

Regards,

Frans

On 26 July 2016 at 18:10, Little, Chris <chris.little@metoffice.gov.uk> wrote:

Hi Frans,

Just to expand on your bullet point:

  • more?

Surely, one class of requirements is to perform calculations on data to make realistic valid comparisons. E.g. areas, distances, bearings, stats. Not just visualisations on a map.

HTH, Chris

From: Frans Knibbe <frans.knibbe@geodan.nl>
Date: Monday, 25 July 2016 16:19
To: SDW WG Public List <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>

Hello all,

This message is to make a thread dedicated to ISSUE-70

The need to perform coordinate transformations occurs when spatial data (geometries and coverages) from different sources need to be combined and the data use different coordinate reference systems.

There can be several reasons for wanting to combine spatial data from different sources:

  • visualisation in a desktop app or web app
  • storage in a data store that is configured for a single CRS
  • federated SPARQL queries
  • more?

Coordinate transformations take time and could introduce errors in the output, so it is preferable to avoid them. A requirement could call for recommendations for publishing spatial data on the web in such a way that there is less chance of data consumers having to perform coordinate transformations.

Questions I would like to put to you:

Regards,

Frans