Re: <abbr>, <acronym> and initialisms

At 02:15 PM 3/29/2007 +0100, Gareth Hay wrote:

>What is WWW then?
>
>you say it is an initialism, which is an acronym, but then example it
>as an abbreviation and not an acronym later.
>
>I'm confused?!?!

You say tomato...

WWW is an abbreviation for World Wide Web.
I tend to pronounce WWW as "double-u, double-u, double-u", so it is an
initialism.
Tim Berners-Lee and some others pronounce WWW as "wuh, wuh, wuh" (sp?),
so to them it might be an acronym.

No matter.

There are two important semantics being conveyed by <acronym>. The first is
that
the contained text is an abbreviation and the other is that the text is
composed of capitals.
That is my recollection of why we added <acronym> to HTML.

This thread has gone on far too long and is consuming far too much of my
mailbox.
Can we please put it aside for now and come back to it later? I don't think
that anybody
is adding anything new to the discussion except to add their statement of
support
for one position or another.

Regards,

Murray