Re: Multipart response support

Henrik Dvergsdal schrieb:

> On 29. mar. 2007, at 12.27, Julian Reschke wrote:
>
>> But that's not an HTML feature, but a browser feature. IE already
>> supports it, and the spec is at <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2387>.
>> You may want to lobby for an update of that spec, and for support in
>> Mozilla, but that really isn't something for the HTML WG (imho).
>
> That RFC just describes the multipart/related MIME content type. What
> feature are you referring to?

Sorry, you also need <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2557>, which defines
"MIME Encapsulation of Aggregate Documents, such as HTML (MHTML)" on top
of multipart/related.

> What *is* something for the HTML WG, however, is to decide wether or not
> we should extend the syntax of some href and src attributes to accept
> references to attachments. Who else should make that kind of decisions?

As far as I can tell, the HTML WG doesn't need to define this as long as
it doesn't appear in documents of type text/html. Thus the usage of
multipart/related in the MTHML format.

> Pre-loading:
>> You can already do that with "data" URIs
>
> I realize that everything that can be done with multipart responses can
> also be done with data URI's - at least in principle. The only problem
> is the size limitation and the reduced readability of the HTML document.

AFAIK, the size of encoding in data URIs will be the same as with
multipart/related; both require some kind of escaping.

I'm not sure about the readability requirement - didn't you want to make
this harder to read for the recipient anyway? :-)

> Generated content in server side applications:
>> Can you explain how you need "separate applications" for that?
>
> If you want to ouput a image that is generated on the fly, say a clock
> or map something, you have to create a separate application that outputs
> that image. You then refer to the URL of that application in the src
> attribute of the img element.
>
> Alternatively you may include the image by means of a data URI. What I
> suggest is to provide an opportunity to include it in an attachment and
> refer to that attachment in the src attribute.

Understood, but it's a mystery to me how these choices affect the number
of applications involved to do that...

Best regards, Julian