Re: <video> element feedback

Boris Zbarsky schreef:
>> First of all, one annoying thing is that you have to provide sizes,
>> otherwise the object will not be visible.
>
> At least in Mozilla, this is false for images.  It should become false
> for SVG by Gecko 1.9, hopefully.  The issue of sizing of <object>
> that's rendered via a plug-in remains in Gecko, due to limitations in
> the plug-in API.  But that's not a fundamental issue with <object> itself.

Ah, indeed.

>> Also, in reality everybody adds a two big attributes for Internet
>> Explorer’s plugin finder, and an <embed> tag inside the object for
>> Mozilla’s plugin finder (which still only works with <embed> and not
>> <object>).
>
> Sorry, that's false.  Plug-ins work fine with <object> in Mozilla,
> _unless_ you use a "classid" attribute with a value that is an ActiveX
> component ID.  If you do that, Mozilla will fall back, since it
> doesn't support ActiveX plug-ins.
>
> Now the problem is that the _only_ way IE supports plug-ins via
> <object> is if they're ActiveX and the right component ID is
> specified.  It doesn't support dispatch based on MIME type.  So you
> get the nesting you mentioned.  Oh, and IE does something broken if
> you nest <object> inside <object>; otherwise authors could use
> now.

I see, very interesting. Thanks for the details, I had been looking for
this info last summer and it’s hard to find the specific details of the
problem (I seem to recall I also found that dev.m.o. page, but maybe it
was an older version).

So, what do you think would be needed to fix this situation. Would it be
possible to change Mozilla’s behaviour so that it still tries to invoke
the plugin finder if the classid attribute is used? Or should Internet
Explorer fix their behaviour of objects nested in objects (you would
still have two nested elements then though), or support finding plugins
in the absence of a classid attribute?

>> However, if the image specifies dimensions, in Firefox they override
>> the object dimensions and you get scroll bars on the object
>
> This is a bug, hopefully to be fixed for Gecko 1.9.

Great.

So, the issues I saw are being fixed.

I’m still missing the fundamental cross-browser incompatibility issues
with <object> that supposedly do not allow fixing bugs in their
implementation without breaking existing sites, and blocking the proper
use of this element in the future.

~Grauw