Re: Leading the Forefront - with IRC ! ?

On 3/23/07, Gavin Pearce <work@gavinpearce.co.uk> wrote:

> Agree with the below, just because something worked in the past, doesn't
> mean it's right for the future. So far things seem a mess. Can anyone truly
> tell me exactly what stage we are at, every idea we have had already, and
> peoples views on that idea?
>
> It would be good, for example, to be able to go back and look at everyone's
> comments on <abbr>, without picking through my inbox.

Maybe you could try gmail, it does exactly this.

> As I said, I'm quite happy to set anything up if anyone wants to lend a hand
> with the chairs permissions.
>
> OK IRC can stay, maybe I was a bit hasty there, personally I'm not a fan, it
> is dated, but it works I agree.
>
> The email list can stay, but as per above, as it stands, does anyone really
> know what's going on for certain? This is the future of the web we're
> talking about, and we're handling it using tech from the past.
>
> We all know the W3C is famous for "setting an example" with its accessible
> and compliant website that yet is so poor for common usability. I just think
> maybe it's time to try something new. Keep the emails flowing, just make
> them more organized. A PHP based testing server where we could setup like,
> for example, a dynamic to-do list, etc ... you can't deny it wouldn't be a
> good idea. Perhaps.

Sounds like we could spend more time doing the above than actually
writing the spec.

> But to prove my point? Can anyone effectively answer the above? Tell me
> every idea we've discussed and what point we are at with each. So if I
> wanted to add to the abbr I could.

I can with gmail.

> Difference between a this mailing list and a move advanced one is user
> options, better online viewing and organization, to-do lists etc etc ..
>
> The wiki is a wiki, yea it'l doo the job, but so will a different way.
>
> Why are we so worried to try something new?

I don't think it's a problem... but the working group is chartered to
write a spec, not to try out new technologies and figure out new
effective ways to collaborate. As far as I can see, the infrastructure
for effective collaboration is in place (mailing list, IRC, WHATWG
wiki, blog, and resources, etc).

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au