From: public-html-request@w3.org on behalf of Dan Connolly
Sent: Thu 3/22/2007 11:47 PM
To: Bill Mason
Cc: public-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Brainstorming - abbreviations

On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 09:52 -0700, Bill Mason wrote:
> Karl Dubost wrote:
> > Could someone or a team of two persons come up with a list of all
> > "possible" test cases using
> >     - abbr
> >     - acronym
> > in different languages?
>
> Attached are a set of testcases to start with, at least.

Excellent. Bonus points for Bill!

I'm having trouble following this thread, but I'm always
happy to see specific detailed test cases.

If there's a specific proposal somebody has about abbreviations,
it would help me if they would say how it interacts
with the examples that Bill gave. It might be worth starting
a new thread, as this one is getting worn out.

e.g. if somebody is proposing to get rid <abbr />,
that suggest that validating/checking tools should
give a thumbs-down to
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007JanMar/att-0325/abbr_en-us_fr_title.html

If we were designing HTML from scratch, I'd probably
argue that we should choose between abbr and acronym.
But we're not designing from scratch; they're both deployed.
Google says there are "about 1,260,000" pages
that mention abbr, acronym and tag. I suppose some
of those are not about HTML, but at least the first
couple screen-fulls are.

So anybody who wants to get rid of one of them should
think through all the consequences and tell us why that's
worth doing.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E